Orland Park To Hold Energy Assistance Fair for Seniors & Disabled

Orland Park To Hold Energy Assistance Fair for Seniors & Disabled
Posted on 09/22/2010

The Village of Orland Park Office of Special Services will hold its Energy Assistance Fair for Seniors and the Disabled on Monday, September 27, 2010 at the Orland Park Civic Center from 9:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m.

Representatives from CEDA (Community and Economic Development Association of Cook County) will be present and attendees may apply for financial assistance through the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP).

"The current economy has affected families across the country," said Orland Park Mayor Dan McLaughlin. "Those on fixed incomes, especially seniors and the disabled, have been hit especially hard," the mayor said.

Attendees can learn about payment programs and steps needed to prevent service disconnections or how to get reconnected. Energy saving tips and how to save on utility bills will be available.

"We invite area seniors and the disabled to bring the necessary paperwork to find out if they qualify for some of the programs that are offered to help them," said Village Clerk Dave Maher. "We're hoping that people can qualify now before winter sets in and they're unable to pay their utility bills," he added.

Documents needed to apply include proof of gross income from all household members for the 30-day period to the application date; current copy of heat and electric bills if applicants pay for their home energy (The bill must show rates and meter readings and the bills must have been issued within the last 30 days.); proof of social security numbers of all household members. If a household member receives TANF, applicants must bring his/her medical eligibility card.

Applicants whose utilities are included in the rent must bring proof of a rental agreement stating monthly rent amount, that utilities are included and include the landlord contact information. Rent costs must be greater than thirty percent of household gross income for 30 days prior to the application.

Those attending the fair should bring their most current utility bills, including ComEd and Nicor; current state identification for all household members; social security or SSI benefit statements; unemployment compensation statements; pension checks; annuity statements; VA benefit; DHS benefit; check stubs for 30-day period and rent receipts or mortgage statements.

For more information, call the Village of Orland Park Office of Special Services at 708/403-6188.